Overview of the Automotive Control Systems Certificate Program
This certificate program consists of several courses, which can be taken individually or together. Our courses have an Application Engineering flavor, in that, students work with production capable hardware, implementing real world problems.
At Gannet you will learn how to create Controls algorithms for automotive applications the same way that experienced Automotive engineers in the very best companies around the world do it!
Overview of Courses
We have 5 Control Systems courses on offer from Gannet today. This forms part of Gannet's Control Systems certification program.
In the course of this certificate program you will achieve the following.
1. Analyze control requirements. Understands basics of IC Engines, Electric Vehicles and Diagnostics.
2. Design and implenent modelbased software in Matlab/Simulink environment. The student will autocode the software, flash it on to an ECU and test the control system they have developed.
3. Perform Software-in-Loop, Model-In-Loop (XIL) simulations on the PC with advanced Virtual Validation software.
4. The above process is repeated for different types of applications: ECUs and Display units, for EVs and IC Engines.
At the end of this course, the students:
- become familiar with fundamentals of Automotive controls development as done by the industry
- Gain familiarization with Modelbased Software design best practices
- are given a brief overview of Automotive ECUs, Sensors and Actuators, wiring harnesses.
- understand how to read ECU and sensor/actuator datasheets.
- learn to analyze what kind of diagnostics are needed to make sure their controller does not damage the hardware components.
- learn how to build software that is calibratable, testable, and fundamentals of version control.
Lab equipment: Oscilloscope, 2 or more multimeters, wires, soldering equipment, heat shrinks, wires, and other standard electronics equipment.
Raptor platform: Course is offered on the Raptor platform that can be purchased from Gannet. View the Raptor Training Kit.
Mathworks tools: this course requires the Mathworks toolchain for autocode generation. Every student is required to have access to Matlab/Simulink.
Contact us for help with setting up your controls lab!
Why Controls and which engineering industry does this apply to?
Control Systems Engineering is really where it all comes together! As products have more complex, the electronics content in a modern vehicle, airplane, spacecraft, and industrial have risen exponentially. Consequently, it has become very important to augment domain skills in the application area with the capability to build and test complex controls algorithms.
However, as you will find in our courses, this is need not be purely mathematical or highly difficult to achieve. It has more to do with gaining insight into how the application works, how to analyze requirements, a certain level of comfort with the most common tools used, and most importantly, experience with solving problems on real hardware.
Closeloop control typically involves a Control Unit, Sensors, Actuators (that control outputs) and understanding of how to analyze the plant (system to control). This is really regardless of whether the plant to be controlled is an ABS system, the engine, landing gear of an aircraft or a methane reactor for an industrial fuel cell!
In this certficate program we focus specifically on the Automotive domain area. Therefore students aspiring to work in or already working in the Automotive industry are likely to find the material most topical. However other industry professionals or students taking this program will also find plenty of common approaches and techniques.
What Software will I need?
I cannot make it to Gannet Labs. What are my options?
Take me to the self paced courses!
Course 1: Automotive Control Systems Basics
Course 2: Matlab/Simulink basics
Course 3: Modelbased Software design for Automotive Controllers
Course 4: Advanced MBD development for Electric Vehicles
Course 5: Virtual Validation for Automotive Test Frontloading
I would like a shorter duration Instructor led course
I have a large team. Are volume discounts available?
Access an ECU online from your home! Do handson experiments without investing in a lab.
Get your own ECU Kit
Build your own lab using our ECU Kits. Take courses from Gannet Academy or use our kits for self learning.
Plug and Play Hardware Kits for your lab or remote access from ours!
Gannet Lab Kits are made up of great products from World Class vendors, in very easy to use Packages. Your Plug & Play Kit is ready to use the day you open the box!
Development for Display Units
VeeCAN hardware is more than just a display unit. These have enough I/O, processing power, and ruggedization to perform as controllers in a production application!
Application Engineering for innovative products
Ganneters also have our own line of Application software which we supply to customers as "open models" that they can modify. Therefore, students who learn with our lineup of Raptor products and from Ganneters are learning the same skills that are being used by the global automotive industry to create innovative new products!